At Whitemoor, art allows children to be creative and use their imagination, providing them with the opportunity to develop intellectually, emotionally, physically and socially.
Our intent in art and design technology is:
- We provide opportunities for children to express themselves through a range of artistic styles.
- We encourage our children to take a pride in their own achievements and to respect their own and others’ work. By looking at the work of other artists, children will be helped to understand that there is no “correct model” and that art is a response to the world around us.
- To use the work of children to provide a colourful and stimulating environment throughout the school.
- To encourage pupils’ development of creative, imaginative and practical skills through a balanced programme of art, craft and design activities, working individually, in groups and as a whole class.
- To extend pupil understanding of how ideas and feelings can be communicated in visual, and sometimes tactile experiences.
We use a method of critique across all classes to improve pupils' work. Critique has three clear rules: be kind, be specific and be helpful. Through this method, children can support each other in developing their art and design work.
To see how Art and Design Technology is being taught throughout the school, take a look at our class pages and their curriculum maps.