In the Spring term we are looking at our topic 'Once Upon a Time'. We are going to be learning all about traditional tales and stories from the children's favourite authors.
The children will look at creating their own story maps and stories and creating mini books by themselves!
We will learn about good and bad characters and how to be a nice person.
The children will also develop their knowledge of numbers 6-10 and think look at simple addition and subtraction activities within numbers to 10.
We are also looking at going on a school trip next half term to a local library.
The Early Years Foundation Stage is organised into 7 areas of learning.
There are 3 Prime areas that underpin everything in the Early Years:
- Communication and Language
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
There are 4 Specific areas which help to strengthen and apply the prime areas:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
All of the areas are connected together and the Characteristics of Effective Teaching and Learning weave through them all.
The 3 Characteristics of Effective Teaching and Learning are:
- Playing and Exploring - Children investigate and experience things, and 'have a go'
- Active Learning - Children concentrate keep on trying and enjoy achievements
- Creating and Thinking Critically - Children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas and develop strategies for doing things
Below you will find the skills that we are going to be covering in Class 1 over the school year. These are not set in stone and are able to move around but it will give you an idea of what things we will be looking at to achieve by the end of the year.
The Early Learning Goals are what we are aiming for at the end of the school academic year.