Statement of Intent
At Whitemoor Academy we have designed and built a Design Technology curriculum which develops learning and results in the acquisition of knowledge and skills. Children will know more, remember more, understand more,
Design Technology (materials) is to be taught in all year groups across two terms and where possible link to other subjects and subject knowledge whereas Design Technology (cooking and nutrition) will be taught once an academic year.
Key objectives of intent, based on the National Curriculum 2014 guidance:
- Products to be made for a purpose
- Individuality should be ensured in children’s design and construction of products
- Delivery of two strands: Designing, Making and Evaluating and Cooking and Nutrition.
- More emphasis to be given on creating ‘innovative’ products in KS2.
- Teaching the importance of making on-going changes and improvements during making stages.
- Looking into seasonality of ingredients and how they are grown, caught or reared.
- Researching key events and individual designers in the History of Technology.