Our intent in languages is to:
- develop children's interest in learning a range of languages.
- teach languages in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
- teach children an appeciation of other cultures and develop an awareness of cultural difference in other countries.
- develop children's confidence and fluency when speaking other languages
- develop children's writing in other languages
- prepare children to continue their learning in KS3
Research shows that there are many cognitive benefits of learning languages. People who speak more than one language have improved memory, problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, enhanced concentration, ability to multitask and better listening skills. At Whitemoor, we begin by introducing children to French in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating with a lot of focus on speaking and listening. In upper KS2, the children move on to Spanish in order to prepare them for KS3. Most of our children go to Brannel school where Spanish is taught in Year 7.